I’m back from Ireland! It was absolutely incredible, the best vacation I ever went on actually, but I’m more than ready to dive back into my virtual worlds of choice again.
I decided not to “spoiler” myself the looks of the Togruta and avoided all of my usual social media platforms as much as possible. I wanted it to be an exciting first impression.
The fact that the starter zones and fleets immediately turned into what presumably looked like a gigantic clown Woodstock made the wait a bit more bearable. Vayyn was so nice to screenshot me a taste of it. (But to be fair, when I finally logged on I actually came across comparatively few of them. And no Ahsoka so far!)
Anyway, I came home today and immediately placed my butt in front of my two screens. I was too curious, honestly. I heard so many different opinions about BW’s take on this species beforehand; I really wanted to see them for myself now.
Honestly, when I opened the character creator and saw the female and the male next to each other I was SPEECHLESS. The female looks amazing, just like you’d imagine them to look like, but the male is a pale imitation of what should be a majestic alien. Why are the lekku so extremely short? And why the hell are the montrals pointing forward? I didn’t even play around with the male options and went straight to the female.
Summary of the things I noticed:
- They have access to lots of the human faces, which is absolutely amazing. Finally an alien species (not talking about near-humans) with a wide range of faces, which means less clones, which means more gorgeous characters to look at. I wish Twi’lek would have more than three faces (because seriously, it’s virtually impossible to differentiate between the first three options, even with a side-by-side comparison).
- Hm, no real akul-tooth jewellery? A bit disappointing. The jewellery options are few in general.
- The variety and style of colours and patterns is incredible and allows for so much variation that it’s actually possible to create a fairly unique character, especially because the facial patterns alter the looks of the faces a bit. The number of combinations is so much greater than what we can achieve with Twi’leks for example; I’m a little envious now.
- Everything looks very Togruta-like: There’s nothing that makes you furrow your brow and think “that doesn’t look right”. Except for weird colour combinations maybe, hehe.
- There are no complexions, scars and no make-up. On the one hand that’s a real pity, on the other hand BW has shown that they are capable of delivering 95% ugly-as-fuck complexions for a species (again, poor Twi’leks). Scars and some subtle make-up options for those who like them would have been nice, though.
- NO EYEBROWS. GOOD JOB, BW. NOW REMOVE THEM FROM TWI’LEK COMPLEXIONS TOO PRETTY PLZ WITH A CHERRY ON TOP AND GIVE US PROPERLY TATTOOED OPTIONS.
- They look and feel very good when actually played.
Montrals/lekku are seperate from the head which probably allowed them to use a greater variety of faces in the first place (altough it does admittedly look a bit detached), the great texture makes them look more realistic, less strange movement clipping/oops-my-lekku-deflated glitches and the lashes are separate from the skin too. My Twi’leks are super jelly.
I also checked what they look like with Dark V:
It‘s a bit strange. The eyes turn red as expected. The montral colours are not affected, the facial colours get a bit paler (except for one dark blue?); no veins and no dark spots though. I wish Serene could look like that; but no, she looks like she hasn’t washed her face in a month, her lashes turn “white” too and the only complexion without brows suddenly gets a pair! Hooray for neglected ugly glitches.
Anyway, this is my bottom line:
- In my opinion they are the alien species with the best foundation to create a fairly unique character right now, which is amazing. A+
- The females look exactly what I expect female Togruta to look like. A++
- Males. Oh well. D
I will roll one on my ‘pariah server’ (which will probably be Shadowlands), where I will park one character of all the species (other than Twi’leks) I adore but don’t want to play; that includes Cathar and Chiss, and hopefully Nautolans in the future. I always have races in every game that I LOVE but just can’t play because they don’t mesh with what I want to create. Charr, dwarves, argonians… you get the idea. Ugh, I feel dirty for rolling something else than a Twi’lek.
Don’t know the class yet, though. Another Trooper? A Sage? A Sith? Oh my, I actually have a hard time deciding on a face/colour/pattern combination.
I also assembled a few side-by-side comparison images to help me keep all the options in mind.
As a comparison, Twi’leks have…
… 27 patterns, of which a lot are paired with make-up that usually clashes with the skin tone
… 17 complexions sporting 16 pairs of (fuzzy) eyebrows and lots of dirt
… 8 skin colours (and they are supposed to be the colourful ones!)
… 12 faces which are actually just an african, a caucasian and an asian version with minuscule variations
/cough yes I’m done now, enjoy your montrals everyone!